As was the case with similar stretches of the Agno river, Marzotto’s interests in the area between the Ponte Verde bridge and the Ponte dei Facchini bridge (in the municipality of Recoaro) date back to the early twentieth century. The wool mill Lanificio Mazzotto was the owner of all the water rights in this stretch as early as 1902 after acquiring those relating to the two existing factories in the area: a timber saw, owned by G. Ambrosi, and a wheat mill by the Faccio brothers.
These two businesses in the area had already promoted a first relevant project for this stretch of the Agno river the year before (1901). The aim was to build “a hydroelectric workshop in order to put their factories in the most modern and economically advantageous position” and sell any excess energy on the market.
The ambitious idea was taken up by Marzotto. However, the first project (1907) came into conflict with the construction of the new tramway between Recoaro and Valdagno: the canal and the famous “vaca mora” were supposed to run along one common path. The problem was solved by a second project (1909), which included intake works on the opposite bank, about a hundred meters from the Ponte Verde bridge. A diverting channel of about 1250 meters (a third of which in the Gallerai) would then cross four small valleys (“Molin Vecchio” or “Russi”, “Rive”, “Bianco”, “della Calsava”) through special canal bridges. “Following the angle of the hill slope “, a 35-meter forced conduit would run from the 16 m3 loading tank until the spiral Francis turbine placed in the new engine building (a few meters away from the Faccio mill). Waste water was then conveyed directly into the intake works of the plant downstream, the Righellati power plant.
The plant, now owned by Eusebio Energia, is currently in operation.